What’s in these projector bulbs?

Most projector bulbs (lamps) contain highly pressurized chemicals that ignite to create a very bright, energy efficient light output. One of the chemicals used to manufacture projector bulbs is Mercury , which is an extremely toxic heavy metal .

Dangers of Mercury :

  • Corrosive
  • Causes burns to skin, eyes and respiratory tract
  • Fatal if swallowed or inhaled
  • Harmful if absorbed through skin
  • Affects the kidneys and central nervous system
  • Harmful to aquatic life
  • Bio-accumulates- not biodegradable
  • We should be responsible consumers!

The use of toxic materials in household items is decreasing. Remember : old thermometers contained Mercury, but newer thermometers now contain another substance (usually a red tinted alcohol) that is safer.

However, when toxic chemicals are used, as is the case with these projector bulbs, we must dispose of them properly to prevent environmental contamination .

< Back to Recycling

Rate this post